Boston/NE area "Cook your own steak" restaurants?
Pierre
2005-05-12 20:37:29 UTC
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?

Pierre
Christopher C. Stacy
2005-05-13 04:18:35 UTC
Post by Pierre
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?
1. No.
2. What are you talking about?
Pierre
2005-05-13 06:35:23 UTC
Post by Christopher C. Stacy
Post by Pierre
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?
1. No.
2. What are you talking about?
How can you say NO, when you have no idea what I'm talking about?
Obviously you've never been to one; let alone even heard of the
concept. You need to get out more.
Christopher C. Stacy
Your welcome.
Shawn Hearn
2005-05-13 13:14:07 UTC
Post by Pierre
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?
What's a "cook your own steak restaurant?" Do you really do the cooking?
Why would anyone want to do that if they can cook the same steak at home
for less money? One of the big reasons why I eat out is so I do not have
to do any work.
Richard Kaszeta
2005-05-13 13:27:42 UTC
Post by Shawn Hearn
What's a "cook your own steak restaurant?" Do you really do the cooking?
Yup. I've been to a couple of said places, mostly in the Plains
states and down south.

Admittedly, with the exception of one place in Iowa (which had very
good beef quality and a really, really nice grill), I wasn't very
impressed, and would've rather hung out on someone's back porch with a
decent Weber grill doing the same thing for less money at a more
relaxed pace.
Post by Shawn Hearn
Why would anyone want to do that if they can cook the same steak at home
for less money?
If that's your question, why go to the restaurant at all? If all you
want is a good steak, you can easily get very good results at home,
for a much lower price, if you're willing to invest a wee bit of time
researching what makes a good steak and finding a decent butcher.

It's about entertainment, as is much of dining out. With few
exceptions, at a restaurant you're paying for (a) someone else doing
the dirty work, and (b) entertainement. Only at the expensive
top-notch places are you paying for something that you probably don't
have (and couldn't easily obtain) the skill to prepare.

As I said, I'm not the greatest fan of the cook-your-own-steak
concept. But I understand why it exists.
--
Richard W Kaszeta
***@kaszeta.org
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Richard Kaszeta
2005-05-13 13:18:14 UTC
Post by Pierre
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?
I've only ever seen this once in New England (it wasn't uncommon when
I lived out in the Great Plains, especially Iowa and Wisconsin). I
believe it was at a tavern in North Kingstown, RI.
--
Richard W Kaszeta
***@kaszeta.org
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Pierre
2005-05-13 19:10:14 UTC
Post by Richard Kaszeta
Post by Pierre
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?
I've only ever seen this once in New England (it wasn't uncommon when
I lived out in the Great Plains, especially Iowa and Wisconsin). I
believe it was at a tavern in North Kingstown, RI.
--
Richard W Kaszeta
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Actually, these places are alot of fun. The grills are huge, they'll
serve you drinks from the bar at the grill while you're cooking, lots
of mops, butters, et. al. You pick out your steak from a cooler, and
have at it. There are chef types who circulate the grills to be sure
that you don't mess it up. . if you do, you're SOL. They'll help you.
They'll cook it for you for a small surcharge, Salad bar, potato bar
to boot.
Its just kinda nice to fraternize with the other diners, who also share
a common interest.
Post by Richard Kaszeta
Post by Pierre
The Scene in Austin
The first time one goes to U.R. Cooks, you may ask yourself why you're
paying them for you to cook your own steak. But wait until you've
picked out your steak, brushed some seasonings on it, and plopped it on
the big community grill; you'll begin to see the appeal. People were
milling around, laughing, giving one another advice on technique, just
having a good time. You can munch on bread, and have a few drinks while
you wait for your steak to finish. It's like having a backyard BBQ with
none of the preparation or cleanup.

The Food
The ability to choose your own cut and grill it just the way you like
it makes this a meal worth savoring. If you're not feeling adventurous,
you can pay a little extra to have one of the staff cooks do the
grilling for you. You can also fill up on all-you-can-eat baked
potatoes on the side.
There was UR Cooks in Austin.
Gaslamp Strip Club,A Steak Place in San Diego
Sams Butcher Shop in Chicago

There are more, me surmises.
Pierre
TC
2005-05-17 23:43:34 UTC
Post by Pierre
Are there any "cook your own steak" restaurants in the Boston area, or
elsewhere in New England?
Pierre
Don't know of any in the Boston/New England area, but there's the
"Grate Steak" restaurants in Virginia, and there used to be a place
called Rube's in the middle of a bunch of cornfields near Grinnell,
IA.
Richard Kaszeta
2005-05-18 13:58:46 UTC
Post by TC
Don't know of any in the Boston/New England area, but there's the
"Grate Steak" restaurants in Virginia, and there used to be a place
called Rube's in the middle of a bunch of cornfields near Grinnell,
IA.
Thanks, Rube's was the place I was thinking of in Iowa.
--
Richard W Kaszeta
***@kaszeta.org